Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Compliments - by Monica

Have you ever had one of those weeks where you really feel down about yourself? When you feel like all you hear are the negative things, and it, in turn, you feel like there is nothing you can do right?

Why does it feel like people take so much time pointing out the bad things instead of focusing on the good?

Yesterday I was seen on television (or at least my voice) for the first time in my life. The Oakland Press was covering the election, and we were on the local channel CMNTV. And, well, everything that could go wrong did. My results didn't come in until after deadline, my webcam wasn't working, my reception on my phone was static-y and the whole show was running behind.

But then, when I went in to work today, one of the reporters, Karen Workman, told me she was proud of me.

And that's all it took to make my day.

All week I was scared that I wouldn't be good enough and that I would screw up. And in different areas of my life, I just felt like I was looked down upon.

Yet just one compliment made me feel like I am good enough.

Why does it feel like it's easier, sometimes, to criticize rather than to compliment.

I challenge everyone to compliment today instead of criticize. It will make a world of a difference.

I found this article on the Port Clinton News Herald and reporter Catherine Hadley said,

The compliments that have meant the most to me are those that showed the giver actually noticed me, sometimes in ways in which I had not seen.

The compliments themselves were wonderful to hear. The fact that the givers were paying attention to me on several deep levels was not only equally flattering, but also surprising to me...

A perceptive compliment can change someone's life. I believe it is the most effective way to nurture a loved one's strengths. That, in turn, could give that person the power to overcome his or her weaknesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment