Friday, September 3, 2010

The future is bright...the future is green - by Monica


Put on my pajamas. Wash my face. Brush my teeth. Plug in my phone.

I'm sure thousands of other people have added plugging in their phone to their list of nightly rituals in the past decade. It takes me a couple seconds, and it has just become a habit to me.

Don't you wish everything was this easy?

Well, in the near future (within the next year or so), it looks like we'll be able to do this with our cars. And, to me, I am liking the concept of being able to plug my car in while I sleep, like I do my cell phone, instead of buying gas.

You can read the original article in the Oakland Press about the future of cars.

In the article by Susan Peck, special to the Oakland Press, Steve Irwin, who is the marketing representative of a company that is working on making these charging stations, told her that the low cost of operation is an incentive and that future municipal charging stations may be free.

“It costs about a dollar a day to operate an electric car and you get about 40 or 50 miles per charge, perfect for city driving. If you are charging at home, you can do it at night when the electric rates are lowest, just like you charge your phone for the next day,” Irwin said.

Photo credit: How Stuff Works

No comments:

Post a Comment