Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Toad prince - by Monica

You can visit Charlyn's website at: toadprinceillustrations.com






My friend Margaret and I were at Great Lakes Crossing in Auburn Hills last week when we saw a store we had never been in before. It's called Great Lakes Artisan Village, and I was immediately drawn in by the art work I saw from the window.

The paintings were by a Michigan artist named Charlyn Darling. Darling said that she had been influenced by the “Big Eye” art of the 1960’s and 1970’s. Her paintings feature big eyed girls in mostly fantasy settings.

I think everybody needs to find their own escape -- that one thing they love to do for themselves and no one else. Darling found this in painting. I interviewed Darling for an article I'm writing, and she told me, "I have never wanted to really do anything else but draw and paint. I've been drawing since I could first pick up a pencil and to me there is nothing better than this."

If you can make money from doing what you love, what better life is that? But even if you don't make money doing what you love, they are a lot of things better than money. Darling taught me that you need to do what you love and work hard at your passions no matter what. You will lead a happy life if you do what you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment