Monday, August 16, 2010

Caleb Campbell - by Kristy

I know this isn't a sports blog, so some readers may be taken back when they see I'm doing another post on a football player. But if you read on you'll see why I can't resist.

On July 31st I took my younger brother to the season ticket holder's open training camp for the Detroit Lions. We watched the team's entire practice. I distinctly remember noticing number 53 out there and asking my brother who he is. And he told me, "that's Caleb Campbell, he just got out of the army, you should follow him on twitter- you'd like him." So I went home and did just that. And ever since that point I've been pretty infatuated with Caleb Campbell's story.

His NFL dreams came true when he was drafted by the Lions in 2008, only to have that taken away from him as he had two years to serve in the army first. I don't know the exact details, but somewhere it's a rule that you can't do both. All I know is that must have been a huge low blow to have your dreams snatched out from under you. But what is truly inspiring is that Caleb did not put up a fight, he did not make the unfortunate situation worse. He followed the orders and served and protected our country, feeling that deep down he would have another shot at his professional football dreams. Now it's August 2010 and Campbell made his NFL debut last Saturday against the Pittsburgh Steelers. I can't imagine how great it must feel to finally have your dreams in the palm of your hand, without any threat of it being taken away again. I couldn't stop smiling as I watched him on the field and the commentators couldn't stop praising him for his character and how much all this means to him. I pray that he stays healthy and does great things with his career, hopefully always remaining a Lion.

Now, I personally don't know enough about football to sit here and praise him as a player. But I do know a big heart when I see one and for that fact I can say that I admire Caleb Campbell and think the NFL could use plenty more like him. I may be seen in my Matthew Stafford jersey around Ford Field, but that doesn't mean Caleb Campbell isn't one of my absolute favorite guys on the roster. :)

You can follow Campbell on Twitter using this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment