Friday, March 25, 2011

Street sign named after Red Wings Captain - by Monica



I figured Kristy would appreciate this haha.

Yesterday for work, I went to the unveiling of Nick Lidstrom Drive in Novi. The drive was, obviously, named after Red Wings captain Nick Lidstrom, who is a former resident of Sweden and current resident of Novi.

He spoke at the event last night, and I could tell right away that he wasn't some full-of-himself guy, but that he truly deserved this honor.

"In Sweden, I believe you have to be dead to have a street sign named after you. That makes it even more special for me,” Lidstrom said. “This is a tremendous honor that I never even dreamt about or thought was going to happen.”

All of the Novi city officials spoke again and again that he was chosen to have the street named after him, not just for his accomplishment in the Red Wings, but for his work in the community with their youth hockey program.

Lidstrom is a star, yet he still found time to coach the youth hockey team at Novi Youth Arena. That shows, to me, that there are things more important in life than being rich and famous. It's helping out the community you live in.

Read my original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment