Friday, December 24, 2010

The true story of St. Nicholas - by Monica

Read original article at: St. Nicholas Center
Since working at the Oakland Press, I have had the pleasure of writing several stories about those who are helping those less fortunate than they are this Christmas. I know, with the stories I have written, I have had a lot better glimpse of humanity than most reporters have. As we all know, Christmas has become very commercialized. I should know -- I've had three jobs this holiday season just so I could afford all the Christmas presents I had to buy.

But reading the true story of St. Nicholas (or as many people know him, "Santa Clause") showed me that he did not want himself to be memorialized in this way -- to make Christmas all about buying and receiving. After all, St. Nicholas gave away everything he had to help those in need with their necessities in life. St. Nicholas became known for his generosity to those in need and his love for children.

Just think about it for a minute -- do you think St. Nicholas would want the thing we look forward to the most on Christmas morning is to get stuff, things we probably won't even remember receiving a year from now? Do you think St. Nicholas would want us to spend the whole Christmas season standing in line, trying to get the perfect toy, instead of actually spending time with the children we are giving the toys too? I've heard several people say they don't even like Christmas anymore. All it means to them is long lines at the mall and pulling their hair out from being so stressed. Do you think this is what St. Nicholas had in mind?

There is so much more to Christmas than this.

Read this story on the Oakland Press by reporter Carol Hopkins about a woman who truly did help out others this Christmas season. An unknown woman in a red coat paid for the groceries of a senior citizen, named Jerri, who had her leg in a leg brace and couldn't walk very fast to see the identity of her "angel in a red coat," when her credit card was declined.

“Why did God pick me?” she asked. “It’s a miracle, it really is.”

Afterward, Jerri thought long and hard about what to do next, saying she wanted to use the money she’d saved in a meaningful way.

She said she feels Jesus wants the money to be a “seed,” not just given away to pay a bill.

Jerri is working on a plan to give the money to a program that will help the needy learn a trade or new skill. She hopes the angel will call The Oakland Press so she can speak with her.

“I want her to know that I’m doing something about it,” she said. “I want this $145 to grow.”

No comments:

Post a Comment