Saturday, December 4, 2010

Letting talents shine through - by Monica

Read the original article by me...featured in the Oakland Press on page A-2.

On Wednesday, I had the pleasure of interviewing 16-year-old Danielle Purkey who is wise beyond her years.

I talked to her on the phone from Denver, where she was at a leadership conference. She received a scholarship for the conference, which paid for all of her expenses when in Denver. And I knew that she deserved this more than anyone.

Reading the e-mails her father had sent the Oakland Press, I knew immediately that I would like her. She has been volunteering with the Special Olympics since 2008. I have always had a soft spot in my heart for those with mental disabilities, especially since writing an article about the Special Olympics and seeing how excited the youth there were to be interviewed, to be noticed and to be treated like celebrities instead of being treated differently. My boyfriend is the manager in a group home for adults with mental disabilities like autism, and I have met all the guys he works with. So, when Danielle told me about her passion for those with mental disabilities and said, "I love them, they’re just so beautiful. People just aren’t aware of what the issues are. They are so gifted. They give me hugs whenever they see me. They are all so bright and wonderful," I knew exactly what she meant.

Her goal is to integrate those with mental disabilities into the work force based on their talents. And I really believe that, with this idea, Danielle will change the world. I think this is a really great idea. Sometimes, people treat those with mental disabilities like there is something wrong with them. But that's not true. I have met many people with mental disabilities who are so talented. And it's not fair for them just to be cooped up. They should get the chance to live out their dreams just like you and me. And that's the idea that Danielle has -- give people with mental disabilities the chance to show off their talents, the chance to live out their dreams.

Here's an example of a girl with special needs who is living out her dreams by being on the hit television show "Glee." She plays Becky on the television show, and she is my favorite character. She displays so much talent, a talent that Danielle wishes more people would let shine through:

No comments:

Post a Comment