Monday, October 11, 2010

Children Making Changes - by Kristy

My inspiration for this post came from something I read over the summer. It was something that, at first glance was really heartbreaking, but I want to turn it into something inspiring. My dad teaches middle school in Detroit and over the summer, he taught a composition English class. One of their journal assignments was to list their favorite things and their least favorite things about the city of Detroit. Many of these young children were listing things like “too many abandoned houses, too many murders, too much crime, too many drugs, too many homeless people” and so on. It’s so sad that these types of things are considered regulatory in the city in which they live. They did have many things they love about Detroit though.

Now, I read these student’s compositions back in June and it’s stuck with me all these months. And today I was thinking about how I could turn this sad story into something inspiring. I think it’s great that these kids have recognized these serious problems, now they just need the encouragement to help seek and advocate change both now and in their future. Children are the future and they can help change it for the better. The worst thing would be for them to simply accept this as their fate.

Luckily, I know there’s many organizations which help kids realize they really can make a difference in their lives and in this world. Disney: Friends for Change is just one example. Disney Friends for Change website.

No comments:

Post a Comment