Monday, November 23, 2009

Thankful - By Kristy

Thanksgiving is right around the corner and that is what inspired my idea for writing about giving thanks.

Everybody has their own Thanksgiving holiday traditions and everybody has their own things they feel thankful for. Sometimes we're too busy or caught up in the craziness of the holiday to stop and think about it. I admit that too often I have taken my own family tradition for granted and it was only when I took the time to think about what we do and what it means to me did I feel a sense of appreciation. Every year myself, my brother, my parents, and my uncle go to the Lions game and then go to Grandma's afterwards for a delicious turkey dinner. And we no doubt break out the Uno Playing Cards and play many competitive rounds. It's just what we do. Every year it's what we do and from the outside looking in, it may not seem like much - but to me it means the world. What do you and your loved ones do every Thanksgiving? I encourage you to comment and take the time to think about what it means to you.

Along with traditions, the holiday comes with the all important question.. what are you thankful for? For myself, every year I feel thankful for my family and my friends. It sounds cliche, because hey isn't that something we're all thankful for? But they are my support system and they are always there for me; picking up the pieces when my life falls apart. I am thankful for our health. I am thankful for my job and being promoted to manager this year and being trusted with much responsibility. This year in particular I feel thankful for deciding on my major and following my dreams. I am doing what I love and it makes me so much happier. I am also thankful for hard work and reaping the benefits; I am thankful for winning a scholarship. To put it quite broad - I am thankful for life and all the ups and downs and opportunities that come with it. What are you thankful for?

I decided to use Yahoo Answers to share what other people are feeling thankful for this year :
-"*My two beautiful daughters
*Husband
*My job
*my home
*My cars
*good health
*food for my family"

-"I'm thankful for a lot of things. I'm thankful for my wonderful fiance and my lovely family. I'm thankful for my darling angel baby girl who is due this March (though I wasn't so thankful before). I'm thankful for my health and for my school and my friends. I'm thankful that I live my life to it's fullest."

-"that my family has had relatively good health, and that my family has not been affected by the economy too bad."

-"My wonderful husband, my five year old cat, and my new crazy baby kitten who is currently trying to restart my computer! :) Then, of course, mine and their health and happiness."

-"Life, because it's amazing.
That includes big things, like my job, my health, my family, etc.
And little things, like hot cocoa on winter nights, the way the sun warms and dries you after a dip in the ocean, those sweet autumn breezes that blow through your hair and seem to cleanse you of negativity.
Just life."

-"Holding down two jobs (a full-time and a part-time) at a time when millions of Americans are unemployed."


Those are just some examples of people who have already stopped to think and share what they are thankful for. It's humbling and can help center your mind to think about things your thankful for; how can it not put a huge smile on your face? ;)

4 comments:

  1. I'm weird but on Thanksgiving, what I'm always excited for most in our tradition is eating olives, haha. No, not eating turkey, but the horderves we have beforehand, haha.

    And I am also thankful for my family, my friends, and finally finding a boyfriend who treats me like I deserve. I am thankful that I have true friends when so many people never find even one. I am thankful that I know amazing people DO exist in this world. I am also thankful that I finally am getting out there in the journalism world and that my hard work really is paying off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Kristy, that's really funny that I interviewed a girl in your comm class! She's literally a girl I just randomly picked out of the crowd, haha. I didn't even know she went to OU, lmao. I aplogize again for writing about Twilight because I know how much you hate the Twlight faze haha. But I was really wired after I saw it and couldn't help it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's okay that you wrote about Twilight, I forgive you! It was actually really interesting to read about deep thoughts on the movie instead of everyone else who just drools over the cast. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ugg boots is a must in this winter. When it comes to ugg for the winter months there are many different styles to choose from. However, there are certain uggs that are proving extremely popular and which if you not careful will soon be sold out. Below we look at five styles of ugg ultra tall boots which are proving to be popular this winter and ugg ultra short boots are this seasons must haves for fashion conscious women around the globe.

    ReplyDelete