Monday, November 30, 2009

Paying it Forward by Kristy

The idea of paying it forward is providing someone, usually a stranger, some sort of favor with the expect of nothing in return. It can also be considered a random act of kindness. There's so many ways to pay it forward. It can be literal, such as helping someone financially: I.e. picking up someone's tab at lunch or buying a stranger a coffee at Starbucks. The scale of favor can vary greatly. For example it can be as small as holding the door open for someone/ giving an encouraging smile, or something much larger like donating a kidney to someone in desperate need.

The idea is similar community service, expect on a smaller scale with higher significance. Philanthropic work is great, but the idea of paying it forward is more directed at one person helping out one other person. For examples, success stories, and ideas check out this link: http://www.payitforwardfoundation.org/welcome.html

The idea of paying it forward is so inspiring that it has been made into a successful novel as well as blockbuster hit movie in 2000. (Although, I must admit I haven't had a chance to see it yet).

So, personally what inspired this entry? It was my uncle. In October I was in a car accident and had to pay a $400 deductible for my car to get fixed. Being a poor college student who had rent due that same week, I had to ask for a loan. However, recently when I sent him an email about paying him back he had this to say:
" Anyway, I am not sure we every talked about if/when you were going to pay me back on the deductible. I do not remember hearing or saying the word loan(or anything like that) when I gave you the $$$. Don't worry about it. Forget about it and save your energy and thoughts for school and fun and work, in that order, for now. :o]
Seriously, consider the $$$ a gift and try to stay out of trouble again. lol Everybody needs a little help now and then, and I am very happy to have been able to this time. Pay it forward in a smaller way to somebody else, the giving/helping is its own reward."

Generosity is such an admirable trait, I am so appreciative of other's generosity and I truly hope to become that type of person. I would be honored to be associated with that trait, as it doesn't come easy or often to many.

Honestly, the world can be a depressing and scary place, so it's nice to think about random acts of kindness & how there really are people out there with big hearts. It's easy to forget that, but important to keep it in mind. Remember that no favor is too small. You never know what it could mean to someone. Often in life, it's the little things that can mean the most. Our small steps may not be enough to change the world, but at least it can make it a little brighter.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! And that was SO nice what your uncle did for you!!!

    Also, I have the movie "Pay it Forward" if you wanna borrow it haha (or watch it together lol).

    ReplyDelete
  2. When selecting links london , one important thing you should always remember is that choosing the very Links of London Earrings that just meets your mother Links London Earrings style and fits the outfits. For example, a simple silver Links Earrings bracelets will look really good and elegant with a simple but refined dress, while a stunning diamond necklace will perfect if paired with the dress with dazzling style.

    ReplyDelete