Monday, October 19, 2009

what is happiness? - by Kristy

Generally speaking, what is happiness? Merriam-Webster defines happiness as:

Main Entry: hap·pi·ness
Pronunciation: \ˈha--nəs\
Function: noun
Date: 15th century
1 obsolete : good fortune : prosperity2 a : a state of well-being and contentment : joy b : a pleasurable or satisfying experience3 : felicity, aptness


However; we all have our own specific ideas of what we view as happiness. And we all have our own specific people and things that can make us happy. When you're a little kid you see happiness as one thing: the opposite of sad. Kids usually feel happy or they feel sad. It is not until we grow up that we realize the true complexity of the word. How it's meaning is widely varied across person to person. There is obvious commonality for being happy, but also many variations.

I view happiness as feeling loved. In knowing that you have people there for you no matter what life throws your way. It's a feeling of simplicity. I am most happy when I am not plagued with worry or stress. When I am comfortable and surrounded by friends and family. There are so many different things that make me happy, which could be a whole other entry in itself. :)

And to prove my point that everyone has a different feeling of happiness I asked a couple people to define it and this is what was said (direct quotes) :
  • Happiness is family!!!!

  • Happiness to me is being secure enough with my life to not let disappointments bother me. Family, also makes me happy, because i know that for the most part, they offer me a kind of security blanket so i know i have something to fall back on, and disappointments can't break me as easily.

  • Happiness is someone you love, a cuddly puppy, a warm blanket, financial stability, and sunshine. :-)

  • Happiness is that feeling of warmth and comfort when you're with the person who makes it all okay. Happiness is laughing with my niece. Children have true happiness.

I encourage everyone to take a second out of their busy day and stop to think about what YOU think happiness is. And I hope you can appreciate that thought and let it put a smile on your face.

4 comments:

  1. Kristy, I love this!! I completely agree...to me, happiness is also feeling loved, being accepted just as I am, knowing no matter what happens, I will never be alone. This was great -- it made me smile! I love that you interviewed people too!

    -Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristy,

    interesting thoughts!

    By asking "what is happiness" you ask a very good question. Recently I had my own shot at defining happiness, which aims to be more “scientific” and “objective” (as much as this is possible for a subjective feeling such as happiness):

    “A person can be considered to have experienced a “happy” moment if the person chooses to re-live it as an end in itself if offered at no cost.”

    For the detailed derivation of this conclusion please have a look at http://www.spreadinghappiness.org/2009/08/what-is-happiness/; I’d love to hear what you think!

    Thank you,

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey nick! thank you for your comment! i really like that! very deep and insightful! i agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tag Heuer , the most iconic luxury timepieces all around the globe almost enjoy the equal popularity with Rolex watches. The Tag Heuer Watches has created various masterpieces in kinds of styles, sizes and colors.Thanks for their accurate and faithful timekeeping abilities, Replica Tag Heuer are warmly welcomed by those who are fond of sports activities including golf, athletics, swimming, etc. Among the wide selection of Replica Tag Heuer Watches.

    ReplyDelete